Published on the 30th June 2015.
Paperback 388 pages.
The book is best suited for existing Android or Java programmers who want to adapt their skills to make exciting Android games. The book starts by using slightly beyond beginner level Java and steadily increases the difficulty. The book is also for determined readers who might have no Android, game programming or even Java experience, but a reasonable understanding of object oriented programming knowledge is assumed.
Learn to build exciting Android game projects. Build a simple flappy-bird like game to a multi-environment, tough, retro platformer then an OpenGL ES 2 Asteroids clone, running at hundreds of frames per second .
This book will help you get up to speed with the essentials of game development with Android. The book begins by teaching you the setup of a game development environment on a fundamental level. Moving on, the book deals with concepts such as building a home screen UI, implementing game objects, and painting the scene at a fixed resolution. Gradually, it builds up to the implementation of a flexible and advanced game engine that uses OpenGL ES 2 for fast, smooth frame rates. This is achieved by starting with a simple game and gradually increasing the complexity of the three complete games built step by step. By the end of the book, you will have successfully built three exciting games over the course of three engrossing and insightful projects.
Learn the following skills
- Animate your characters with sprite sheets, add multiple scrolling parallax backgrounds, and implement genuinely tough, playable levels in your games
- Implement basic and advanced collision detection mechanics
- Implement a multitude of other game features such as pickups, firing weapons, HUD’s, generating and playing sound FX, scenery, level transition, high scores, and more
Build real games
- You will get to build three, cool, real games of progressing technical difficulty.
- Steadily build up to implement a flexible and advanced game engine that uses OpenGL ES 2 for fast smooth frame rates in excess of 60 frames per second. This is achieved by starting with a very simple flappy-bird-like game and gradually increasing the complexity of the three complete games built step by step.
- The book is best suited for existing Android or Java programmers who want to adapt their skills to make exciting Android games. The book is also for readers who might have no Android, game programming or even Java experience but a good understanding of object oriented programming knowledge is assumed.
Enhance your Java skills
- A multi-level retro platformer. Implement artificial intelligence, sprite sheet animation, parallax scrolling backgrounds, neat upgradeable machine gun, attacking enemies, fire large, diverse and genuinely tough levels and much more.
- The third and final project might look simpler than the second but we will learn about OpenGL ES 2 and how we can use it to draw all of our game graphics at over 60 FPS. In the process we will build an Asteroids-like game.
- If you have read Learning Java Building Android Games this is the logical next step.
Everything you need
- Every single graphical asset including textures, sprite-sheets and backgrounds is included in the book’s download bundle.
- All the required sound files are supplied along with guidance on how to generate your own sound FX.
- Every single line of code is printed in the book! No need to refer to the code files while trying to follow along. All the code files are also supplied separately so you can refer to them in their completed form and copy/paste them into your project if you like.
Android gaming is a hot topic these days, but one of the few areas of technology that does not have an abundance of clear and useful documentation online. However, there is an ever-increasing demand for Android games.